The church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) has been in the news and media lately; both for good and not so good reason’s. I have always found that people get their information about the church from other sources but the church. A new awareness project (mormon.org) has been started by the church to educate people on who Mormon’s actually are.
There has been a website started that helps inform people about our values (standards of living), our faith (gospel principles) and our members (the many people throughout the world that make up our church). I have loved looking around this website; reading the church’s statements of the things I believe (they have the words for things that I can not describe but can just feel) and I have especially enjoyed the videos. The church has asked the members to fill out profiles about them, so that people can get to know who the people behind the name “Mormon’s” are. They then make short 5 minute videos on some of these people. It is so great to hear the stories of conversion and faith from these people of different cultures, races, countries and experiences. I have spent hours (not exaggerating) watching these videos and perusing this website.
To get this website out there to the masses the church has started an aggressive media effort. They have put these short video’s on TV (I actually saw some on hulu) and have made billboards and other media efforts to let people know where they can find information. At first I thought it was kind of ‘in your face’ but as I have more closely looked at the website I see the inspiration that has come through this website and these media efforts.
The church told us that this might increase member missionary experiences and it has. I have been nervous about this idea (because, as I said above I am not very eloquent with my words, especially when emotions are involved) but I have been studying Preach My Gospel, Conference Talks, the Scriptures and other sources. I had the opportunity to talk with some people about my faith and to really bare a fervent testimony of what I was saying (and I was so confident and calm that the spirit was there). It was so empowering.
If you haven’t looked at this website- DO! If you haven’t made a profile- DO! It has really made me more aware of who I am and what I believe.
Here is my profile!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment